The pioneering of the Church of Christ in Angola was started by David C. Hanselman in 1852 and occasional meetings were held for several years, conducted by D.C. Hanselman, James Hadsel, Samuel Wannamaker, Randall Faurot, Burdette B. Goodale, Thomas Moffett, A.N. Bartlett and Myron Gleanson.
Joshua Goodrich, having held a successful meeting at Metz, was invited and held an evangelistic meeting at Angola beginning January 31, 1866, in a small Church building occupied alternately by the Presbyterians and Methodists. Twenty-one were baptized and nine were added by letter and statement. This meeting was aided by the open opposition in the services of the Presbyterian clergyman and of the infidels of the town. Angola was a center of spiritualism and religious infidelity, having 1500 residents with but one church building and less than 30 professed Christians.
After the Goodrich meeting, a temporary Church organization was set up at which time the members of the Church at Sowle Settlement, comprising the Fast and Ogden families came into fellowship here. So far as known the first officers were Christian Fast and W.P. Ogden, Elders, and E.N. Woodford, Deacon.
The real activities of the Church in Angola began with the call of John Aylsworth as minister in October, 1869, when the Church was reorganized and a definite building program planned. The first Church building was erected in 1870 on the present site and was later remodeled and improved by annexes to the east and north.
(To see the pictures in more detail, place mouse over each one and click on it.)
Bell from Angola Christian Church
Inscription on the bell
Inscription showing date the bell was dedicated.
Inscription on the bell.
The bell hanging out at Lake James Christian Assembly.
John Aylsworth closed his work in the spring of 1872 and during his ministry the membership was increased from 30 to over 700. He was succeeded by his younger brother, William P. Aylsworth, who was instrumental in paying off the Church debt in full in the year 1879. During the ministry of William P. Aylsworth a Church bell was installed in which his name was cast; when the Church was rebuilt in 1910, this bell ceased to be used and was donated by the Angola Church to the Lake James Christian Assembly where it now is in hourly use during the Assembly sessions.
The present building was erected in the year 1910 under the pastorate of Vernon Stauffer and is located on the site of the original Church.
This information was taken from one of the previous church directories. We would love for you to come see our beautiful church and share the rich Angola history it holds.